Managing a motor fleet can be exhausting work. Whether your fleet consists of three or more vehicles, managing their collective risk can feel like a thankless task. While you’re addressing one specific risk, different risks can arise which also demand your attention. It is a constant juggling act. However, instead of addressing risks as they develop and constantly playing catch up, consider implementing motor fleet risk management strategies to stop problems before they appear.
Motor Fleet Risk management is a pre-emptive strategy aimed at analysing risks within your fleet and implementing processes to reduce or eliminate them before they become an issue. A well thought out risk management strategy comes with many benefits, such as reducing business disruption and protecting your employees.
Although the process will vary slightly according to your needs, here are some measures to consider when analysing your motor fleet risk management:
- Identifying the hazards concerning involved drivers
- Implementing driver training
- Investing in dash cams and telematics
- Providing drivers with claim bump cards
- Tracking driver habits
- Reporting claims within 24 to 48 hours
Following these steps can help you isolate and eliminate your business’ biggest risks.
Pricing Motor Fleet Policies
If you purchase a motor fleet insurance policy for your business it is worth noting that your premiums will be highly dependent on your business’ past claims experience. The good news is, an unfavourable claims history does not necessarily preclude a favourable and affordable motor fleet insurance policy. Good risk management can translate to vastly improved policy terms.
Analysing Claims and Accidents
Investing in your business’ past accidents can slash claims cost and should form part of your fleet risk management strategy.
Start by analysing the conditions that led to past accidents and any preventive measures taken to reduce them. Did they work? If so that’s great, but if not, consider new accident-reduction programmes.
Rely on your insurer to supply the past accident data that will serve as the foundation of your analysis. A typical claim and accident analysis should include the following information:
- Accident circumstances such as day, date, time and location
- Vehicle(s) involved
- Driver(s) involved
- Claim types
- Cost analysis
Management Control for Fleet Managers
It is important to use the results from your internal analysis to streamline processes and promote a positive health and safety culture. Typical management controls which dictate how your fleet runs include the following:
- Working hours policy: Consider the maximum number of driving hours, breaks and times of the day when driving takes place.
- Working conditions: Interview drivers to figure out what practices need changing.
- Route and workload planning: Study whether there are more efficient ways to allocate assignments and chart routes.
- Mobile telephone policy: Enforce a mobile policy that complies with the law and emphasises driver safety.
- Safety equipment: Establish clear rules for using safety equipment such as seat belts, first-aid kits and fire extinguishers.
- Vehicle controls: Adopt a ‘clean car’ policy that prohibits leaving any valuables in view and dictates that drivers can only park in secure places.
- Responsibility for vehicles: Assign specific vehicles to drivers who are responsible for their condition.
- ‘How’s my driving?’ schemes: Some businesses include stickers on their vehicles encouraging members of the public to call in with complaints or compliments, thereby encouraging drivers to drive more carefully.
Reining in Your Risk
A busy fleet can appear in all shapes and sizes, from hauliers to van hire, large or small fleets. So, it is vital to prioritise your motor fleet risk management. Business Choice Direct have a team of experts who will support you in creating a comprehensive fleet risk management strategy. It can not only help reduce the frequency of accidents and associated claims but can also reduce your premiums.
When it comes to Fleet Insurance, we will make sure we provide you with the appropriate and relevant policy that covers all your business needs. Call us at 0344 776 5302 or visit (https://www.businesschoicedirect.co.uk/fleet-insurance/) for more information.